Prof. Jose Luis Fernandez
|Office Hours by Appointment - Campus Closed due to COVID-19
VITA - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
DUE TO COVID-19 THE VITA PROGRAM
FOR 2021 HAS BEEN CANCELED
We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to return in 2022
Alternative VITA site: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/find-a-location-for-free-tax-prep
Selected local sites include.
- AARP TCE (VITA) site at the Reseda Neighborhood Council Community Site -18118 Sherman Way. Advanced appointment is required. Other AARP sites can be found using the tax locator tool https://secure.aarp.org/applications/VMISLocator/searchTaxAideLocations.action) or call 888-227-7669.
- CSUN VITA also provides a virtual assistance. See https://www.csun.edu/bookstein-institute/csun-vita-clinic.
Free tax return preparation service
The Business Department's Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free income tax preparation and electronic filings to the qualified low and moderate-income taxpayers whose gross income is $56,000 or less. Out-of-scope and other limitations may apply.
When - Days and hours of operation
Generally, Pierce VITA operates on most Saturdays during February and March (except for the week before President's Day).
For the year 2020:
- Date: Saturday, Feb. 1, 8, 22, 29, and Mar. 7, 14 (exceptions: February 15 is a holiday).
- Check-in at 9:00AM to 11:00AM
- Service is provided on the walk-in basis. No appointment needed.
- March 14 is the last day of our site operation. Our site closes afterward. This means there will be no tax preparation session or anyone to answer your tax inquiry after this date.
- The previously scheduled March 21 session is canceled due to the CoronaVirus outbreak. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Where - Pierce VITA location
Business Building Room BUS3218 (Outer wing of business building). Refer to Campus Map.
Suggested Parking: Victory Parking Student Lot 7 (enter at Mason & Victory). It is our understanding that we do not need a permit to park on the student lot over the weekend, so you may park at your own risk.
What - Documents to bring
- Photo ID for you and your spouse (if filing joint return)
- Both spouses must be present (if filing jointly)
- Social Security cards or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) notices/cards for you, your spouse, and dependents
- All tax documents and supports. This may include but not limited to:
- Income related: W-2's,1099's
- Tax-deductible related: medical bills, mortgage statement, property taxes, DMV fees, donations
- Tax-credits related: 1098-T (Tuition Statement), 1095-A (Health Insurance Marketplace Statement)
- Your last year income tax return–both federal and state
How - Contacting Pierce VITA
You can reach Pierce VITA via email at PierceVITA@yahoo.com.
Pierce VITA volunteers will not be available to answer your income tax questions before the program begins or after the program ends. We suggest that all tax return-related inquiries be directed to your local tax professionals or the appropriate taxing authority.
Selected resources for your tax concerns after our site closes
Other VITA locations
Federal Internal Revenue Services (IRS): 844-545-5640
California Franchise tax Board (FTB): 800-852-5711
Volunteers and Business 10 Students
First-Time Volunteers: There are many reasons why one becomes a part of Pierce VITA volunteer through enrolling in Business 10
- You will be part of the volunteer income tax assistance (VITA) sponsored by the Internal Revenue services (IRS).
- Focus on real-world application. Learn how to prepare your personal (and family) basic tax returns.
- No prerequisite. Open to all majors and should take by all as long as you (will) pay the income tax.
- Zero-cost textbook.
- Weekend course format, starts and ends early.
- It is an easy and interesting way to give back to your community.
- You will receive the IRS certificate upon the program completion.
- This is a great extracurricular activity that can be added to your resume, college and scholarship application.
Experienced Volunteers: We also welcome the VITA experienced volunteers to our site. If you took Business 10 in the previous semester then simply (1) email the appropriate Link and Learn Certificates to PierceVITA@yahoo.com and (2) talk to the instructor in person on the first day of class.