Department Chair, History, Humanities, Philosophy and Sociology
Dr. A. James McKeever PhD
Advisor for History
Professor Sheryl Nomelli
Advisor for Philosophy
Dr. Melanie McQuitty PhD
Advisor for Sociology
Dr. A. James McKeever PhD
Betty Odello Perpetual Scholarship
Each year a group of friends of Philosophy Professor Emerita Betty Odello offers a scholarship of $1,500 in honor of her many years of dedicated service to the students of Pierce College.
Completed application packets are due via email by 11:59 PM on Friday April 8, 2018.
- You must be transferring to a university next semester.
- You must meet the requirements to transfer to a bachelor’s program* by the end of the current semester (6 units in Sociology, Philosophy, or a combination of both).
*It is not necessary to have declared Philosophy or Sociology your major.
- You must have completed at least 30 units at Pierce with a minimum cumulative Pierce GPA of 3.3.
All application materials should be emailed as attachments to firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 PM on April 8, 2018:
- Completed application form. Available HERE.
- Write a personal essay that includes any information that you feel will help the committee evaluate your qualifications and you as an individual. Do describe your post educational and career goals. Also include any awards, achievements, service learning, involvement or volunteer work on campus and off. Be specific about your participation. Limit the essay to two pages, double spaced.
- Two recommendation letters (no more, no less) from faculty on your behalf (guidelines are HERE). One of these must be from a professor in the department (either in philosophy or sociology). The professors should email their recommendation letters directly to email@example.com with your name in the subject line.
- Attach a copy (unofficial is fine) of your transcript.
- Include an example of your completed work, 1 paper, 4-10 pages (excluding bibliography or notes) double-spaced, 12 pt. font.
The Betty Odello Perpetual Scholarship Committee will review the applications. The committee will coordinate with the Financial Aid Office for disbursement of funds. The committee will be composed of the Philosophy/Sociology Department Chair, faculty members from each discipline, and the donors. The scholarship may be awarded to one person or divided among two or three students as determined by the committee. The decision by the committee shall be final.
The scholarship will be awarded to the student(s) at the graduation breakfast.
Questions and Inquiries
Please direct questions to co-coordinator Dr. Cara Gillis, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Odello Scholarship” in the subject line.