Performing Arts Department Chair
Name: Michael Gend
Office: PAB 3539
Phone: (818) 710-2268
Music Faculty Advisor
Name: Wendy Mazon
Office: MUS 3403A
Phone: (818) 710-2295
APPLIED MUSIC (Music 181, 182, 183, 184)
Corequisites: Music 250 (Performance Workshop), Music 216 (Theory), Music 217 (Musicianship), and a performance ensemble approved by the AMP Director.
Applied Music provides weekly individual lessons to qualified students on a principal instrument or voice. Students who successfully audition receive instruction in voice, piano, guitar, or band/orchestral instruments from a member of the Applied Music faculty. Performance for a faculty jury is required at the end of the semester.
Applications and Auditions
Deadline to submit Applied Music Program (AMP) applications and audition videos for the Fall 2020 semester is Monday, 6/8/20, 11:59 pm. Contact one of our accompanists by Monday, 5/25/20 if you are requesting a backing track to record your video. Student guidelines, application, and instructions are available below. Please contact the AMP Director, Dr. Wendy Mazon, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
Read the Student Guidelines - this contains audition requirements and details about the Applied Music Program.
- If needed, request a backing track from one of our accompanists by Monday, 5/25/20. All vocalists are required to have a backing track of some kind.
- Contact one of our accompanists (Lance Merrill: email@example.com, or Hyunju Hwang: firstname.lastname@example.org) by 5/25. In your email, introduce yourself and let them know that you would like to request a backing track for the following pieces.
- Send them a copy of the music for each piece/movement that you wish to have a backing track for.
- Include an audio or video link of a recording of each piece, so the accompanist can listen to the style of the piece as they prepare to create the track(s) requested. Also provide any other details about the piece that would be helpful, including a metronome tempo, information on how long to hold fermatas, etc.
- Record your videos, upload to YouTube, Google Drive, etc. and create shareable links.
- Consult the Student Guidelines and follow the requirements listed under your specific instrument/voice. Each piece/movement should be performed in its entirety. If scales and/or arpeggios are required, include in your submission two scales and/or arpeggios of your choice that best demonstrate your range and technical ability.
- Students should post their videos in YouTube (public or unlisted), Google Drive, etc. Once your videos are posted, provide a link for each piece/movement submitted.
- Keep the video available until you get an official audition result from the AMP Director.
Complete the Pierce College AMP audition application.
Email the AMP audition application and video links to the AMP Director, Dr. Wendy Mazon, at email@example.com. Deadline to submit Fall 2020 applications and audition videos is Monday, 6/8/20, 11:59 pm.
Flute - Charlotte Betry, Shannon Canchola
Oboe - Yinchi Chang, Victoria Sabonjohn, Rachel Van Amburgh
Clarinet - Ryan Espinoza, Virginia Figueiredo, Wendy Mazon, Micah Wright
Jazz Saxophone - Shai Golan
Saxophone - Benjamin Sorrell