Chemistry Challenge Exam
Students who wish to enroll in Chemistry 101 at Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC) must successfully pass the Chemistry Readiness Prerequisite Challenge Exam, in addition to having met the prerequisite of Math 125: Intermediate Algebra or a higher math course; or have passed Introductory Chemistry (Chemistry 60, 65 or 68) in the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD).
If you have taken the appropriate coursework outside of the LACCD (only from colleges or universities; high school transcripts are not utilized), the prerequisites can be cleared by taking your transcript to the Counseling Office.
The Chemistry Readiness Prerequisite Challenge Exam serves two purposes:
- Acquaints students with the skills that are needed to succeed in the general chemistry series
- Identifies those students who are eligible for placement into Chemistry 101
The content of this 45-minute multiple choice exam is based upon high school chemistry and high school mathematics. They include solving simple algebraic equations, using proportions and percentages, and solving word problems using dimensional analysis. The majority of the test deals with chemistry and is primarily concerned with concepts discussed in a beginning chemistry course. These include: atomic structure, elements/compounds/solutions and their properties, chemical formulas and quantities, basic chemical nomenclature, the periodic table, chemical reactions, and concentration. The best preparation for the test is to review high school algebra and basic chemistry or reviewing the Chemistry Readiness Prerequisite Challenge Sample Exam. You may only take this exam once.
Even though you may pass the readiness exam, if you have limited chemistry laboratory experience you are encouraged to enroll in Chemistry 60 in order to acquire the skills needed for the laboratory in Chemistry 101. For some students, the examination will be a warning that their chances of obtaining a satisfactory grade in Chemistry 101 are very slight and that they should improve their knowledge by enrolling in Introductory Chemistry.
- The dates and times for the Chemistry Readiness Prerequisite Challenge Exam are first come first served, no appointments are necessary
- To take the exam, show-up at the Assessment Center 10 minutes prior to exam time, and bring a photo ID, your student ID number and a non-programmable calculator. You will be provided a periodic table for the exam.
- Participants must complete the Chemistry Readiness Prerequisite Challenge Exam form on the day of the challenge. You will be given the form when you check-in.
- Check-in begins approximately 15 minutes prior to the start time. Please arrive at least 10 minutes prior to the scheduled start time. If you arrive late you will not be admitted to the exam.