The Assessment Center will be closed on Monday, July 29 2019
Due to changes in State regulation (AB 705), the Assessment Center is only administrating ESL placements at this time. Please see AB 705 Information for details.
It is the mission of the Pierce College Assessment Center to provide students with knowledge of their interests and aptitudes to better enable them to formulate their educational goals. When a student knows their English and math skill levels, they will be properly placed, thus increasing their probability of academic success.
- All students must first apply to LAPC and receive their Student ID number before taking part in the placement testing process. ESL students ONLY.
- Review available testing dates and times at the Testing Calendar web page.
- The Assessment Center currently offers three placement tests:
- English Native Language (ENL) - NO LONGER OFFERED (AB 705)
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- Math - NO LONGER OFFERED (AB 705)
- You may not need to take the Placement Exam(s) if you are not enrolling in an English or Math class. See the current Schedule of Classes to verify any prerequisites.
- There are English as a Second Language classes available without taking the Placement Exam: English 79
- Go to our Online Appointment System web page - ESL Placement exams Only. Non-ESL students please see AB 705 information
- Log in with Student ID Number and Birth Date
- Select an available appointment
- Complete required information
- Print Confirmation Page
Testing Appointment notes
- ESL Times listed are start times. Plan on arriving at least 15 minutes prior to start time to check-in. Late arrivals will not be admitted to the exams.
- The online appointment system only schedules ESL exams for a two-week period. Our exams fill up quickly. Check back each morning as new dates become available.
- If you need an earlier appointment, please review the online calendar to arrange a time to walk-in to an exam and be placed on the waiting list.
- The waiting list is not a guaranteed time to test; only an arrangement to have the opportunity to test, if room is available after all appointments have been seated.
- The waiting list starts 20 minutes prior to the start of the exam. Arrive at least 15 minutes before the start time, if you are trying to walk-in to an exam.
- If you cannot make your scheduled appointment, please cancel via the Online Appointment System
- If you encounter problems logging into the Online Appointment System, email the Assessment Office describing the problem. Include your ID number and date of birth.
The LAPC Assessment Center is located on the first floor in the Student Services Building, next to Parking Lot 1. Go to LAPC Campus Map to locate the Center, available for viewing or download as an Adobe Acrobat Portable Document (PDF) file.
- A valid LAPC ID number
- Government-issued photo identification card (e.g., California driver's license, California ID card, passport, or military ID). A second form of photo ID may be required in some cases. Be sure to bring two forms of ID with you.
- Photocopies of IDs, passports, etc., will not be accepted under any circumstances.
- We will not be able to assess you without proper ID.
The college's matriculation plan requires that all students who plan on taking English, English as a second language (ESL), Math, eight units or more and/or pursuing a Certificate or Degree must participate in the placement process.
- NO LONGER OFFERED (AB 705) English as a Native Language, designed for students whose primary language is English.
- English as a Second Language, designed for students wanting to learn English
- NO LONGER OFFERED (AB 705) Math
- English as a Second Language Placement Exams are paper and pencil exams, multiple choice format. Plan on spending approximately 1.5 hours on the exam.
- Currently, we do not administer placement exams for other colleges.
To learn more about the links and information provided by this web site, please to go our web page "Website Links". To learn more about documents provided by this website and document ADA-compliance, please go to our web page "Addressing Document Compliance".