|Monday||8:30 am - 6:30 pm|
|Tuesday||8:30 am - 6:30 pm|
|Wednesday||8:30 am - 6:30 pm|
8:30 am - 6:30 pm
Preparing for Assessment
Are you ready for your Assessments?
Preparing for Assessment:
- How the English Assessment Prep. Program can help you! Take a look for more information and to sign-up!
- How the Math Assessment Prep. Program can help you! Take a look!
What is Assessment?
Assessment is an important step in your process toward becoming a college student. Assessment testing is one aspect of what is often termed the "matriculation" process. Matriculation involves all of the activities that are necessary to be considered an active student. The major parts of this process include application, orientation, assessment, and registration. You have already successfully completed the application process! And by doing Steps to Success, you are fulfilling the orientation requirement and will then be cleared to do Assessment.
Assessment is so important because it provides the college the opportunity to learn about you and what classes are best for you to start with. This process is especially important for students who are seeking a certificate, degree, or transfer because access to some of the courses you need may be restricted unless you demonstrate specific skills during Assessment or successfully complete pre-requisite courses once you begin taking classes at the college.
The assessment testing process involves multiple instruments, including modules for mathematical skills, and tests in English that involve reading comprehension and sentence skills. In addition, you will likely be asked a variety of questions to better understand other factors related to your academic preparation. Your job is to do your best on the assessment in order to help the Pierce College create the most accurate picture of what courses will best support your future success.
You have probably already taken many tests in your life up to this point. Assessment tests are a bit different from other tests you may have taken in that you do not pass or fail assessments. Nonetheless, your performance during the assessment is very important! In fact, the assessment test will determine which courses will be your starting point in core classes like English and Mathematics. And the assessment will also determine whether you meet the requirements to take many other courses offered by the college. Your best possible performance during assessment is important because that can potentially save you time, energy, and money since you might be required to take fewer courses to reach your ultimate goal.
What Does My Assessment Test Mean for Me?
Most college sequences in English, reading, mathematics, and English as a Second Language are built upon the idea that a student builds skills and mastery over time. These courses are organized into sequences, with a designated course being required for graduation or transfer. The number of courses required in these sequences vary from college to college, but the goal is for you to assess and be placed into the highest possible course, which will save you time and money by allowing you to minimize the number of steps needed to meet specific completion requirements.
In order to ensure your best performance, here are some steps to success before you take your assessment test:
Preparing for Assessment
- Find out how to prepare—Pierce College provides sample tests that provide practice for both English and math exams. Knowing what types of questions to expect and how the test works will boost your confidence while taking the assessment.
- Get enough sleep the night before so that you are rested and ready to take the test—
- Allow enough time to take the test and do your best— Testing may take more than an 3 hours to complete if you are completing both English and Math, so plan your day accordingly. Don’t feel rushed. Making time now will save you time in the future.
- Take the test seriously—Because your performance will impact how many classes you need to take in specific areas, doing your best on the assessment can get you much closer to your goal before you even start taking classes.
- Find out what the results mean if you aren’t sure—The score itself won’t matter very much, but your placement recommendation into classes means a lot!
To find out more about your college's assessment test and test preparation resources, contact the Assessment Center or go to the following website for additional information:
Remember that it is not possible for you to “fail” an assessment test. The college is only measuring the areas that you can already demonstrate mastery in and the areas you need to strengthen. This information will help to determine the best possible recommendations for which classes you should take and serves as an important tool for reaching your academic and professional goals.