What can I do with this degree?

Student Affairs

Secondary schools
Colleges and universities
Vocational and technical schools

Obtain teacher certification for public school positions. Plan to earn a masterís degree to work in college student affairs or university administration. Earn a Ph.D. to obtain employment as a professor. Develop excellent writing and speaking skills. Learn to work well with all types of people. Develop strong interpersonal skills. Seek leadership positions in campus organizations related to agricultural science, natural resources, or agricultural education. Gain practical experience in the area of agriculture. Work with youth through volunteering or summer jobs with camps, 4-H programs, scouts, YMCA's, and other nonprofit organizations.

Agricultural Education
Family and Consumer Sciences Education
Youth Development Education

Cooperative Extension System (national)
Extension services within states

Gain experience in working with children and adults of varying ages. Participate as a volunteer or member of organizations such as 4-H or FFA and seek leadership roles. Develop strong communication skills, particularly public speaking and group presentation skills. Take courses in economics and community development. Develop computer skills. Earn a masterís degree to qualify for more positions. Be willing to live in rural communities and to travel within the county. Be prepared to work some evenings and weekends.

Informal Education
Agricultural Communication: Journalism, Public Relations, Electronic Media, Technical Writing

Local, state and federal government including: Forestry Service, USDA, National and state parks and reserves
Professional associations
Agribusiness firms
Financial institutions
Scouting organizations, e.g. Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts
Nature centers
Foundations, museums, nature centers, zoos
Nonprofit organizations
Wildlife organizations
Agricultural magazines and websites
Newspapers and other publications
Farm radio and television stations
Advertising and public relations firms

Gain relevant experience through internships, summer jobs, or volunteer positions. Earn a minor or take additional courses in area of interest such as communication, English, or business. Develop strong communication skills, both written and oral. Learn to work well with various computer programs including desktop publishing. Participate in related student organizations and seek leadership positions. Work on the student newspaper to gain experience for agricultural communication positions. Develop physical stamina, resourcefulness, and outdoor skills for some informal education positions. Be willing to relocate.

Agricultural Science provides a broad background for working in the agricultural and natural resources industry.

For entry-level positions, a bachelorís degree is sufficient. A masterís or doctoral degree is often necessary for advancement. Some federal and private agency work, consulting positions, and especially research positions require a graduate degree.

Teacher certification is required for public school teaching and varies by state.

Obtain volunteer, part-time, summer, internship, or co-op experience in field of study.

Develop excellent computer skills.

Join a student club or student professional association to network and cultivate related academic interests.

Conduct informational interviews or shadow professionals who have jobs that interest you.


Prepared by the Career Planning staff of Career Services at The University of Tennessee, Knoxville. (2006) UTK is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA /ADEA Employer


Click here to go Back