Pierce College Office of Professional Development Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification Overview for Pierce College Employees
For any Pierce College employee interested in earning the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Certification, please reference the information to follow.
- Pierce College has purchased the licenses for the MOS Certification practice tests for Office 2013 and Office 2016.
- The current practice tests and the corresponding operating system, Microsoft Office 2013 and Office 2016, are loaded on the Faculty & Staff Resource Center (FSRC) Windows computers, which can be accessed by all Pierce College employees in room LLC 5150.
- If your current Pierce College computer has an Office version earlier than 2013 (other than Windows XP), you can put in an IT work order to request to have your Pierce College computer upgraded to a newer version so that you can be working daily with the version on which you will test.
- To earn MOS Certification, employees must certify in any ONE of the following programs: Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access or Outlook.
- Employees who earn MOS Certification may be eligible for a differential, depending on their union’s contract. Employees should check with their union or HR regarding the amount of the differential.
- MOS Certification expires after 3 years. At that time, the employee may be required by the district to recertify in order to continue to receive the differential. It is the responsibility of the employee to take steps for recertification.
- There is no guarantee that you will be reimbursed for the test fee, as it is dependent upon availability of funding. You will not be reimbursed for the test fee if you do not pass the test.
The current process for the MOS Certification is as follows:
- Study. The most effective way to prepare for the Certification test is to review the practice tests, which are loaded on the computers in the Faculty & Staff Resource Center (LLC 5150). If you prefer, you can purchase a practice test and load it onto your personal (non-Pierce) computer for convenience. NOTE: The personal computer you plan to use will need to have the version of Office that you plan to test on (2013 or 2016). Also, you will not be reimbursed for the practice text expense.
- Purchase Test. When you are ready to take the test (it’s recommended that you are able to pass the practice tests with a score of 90% or better before taking the Certification test), you must purchase a voucher to take the test. It’s recommended to purchase the test with a retake option, which costs $86. You will purchase this test with your own money. To purchase the test, contact the Office of Professional Development at 818-710-2588.
- Schedule Test. When you are ready to take the test, contact the Office of Professional Development to schedule a time for someone to proctor the test. The test will be proctored in a private office in the FSRC.
- Take Test. You will take the test on the scheduled day and time. If you do not pass, you will reschedule with the Office of Professional Development to take the test again.
- Submit Paperwork. When you have passed the test, you can submit the certification for the differential for which you are eligible. You can also submit the proof of purchase to request reimbursement.
If you have any questions, please contact Shannon Krajewski, Coordinator for Professional Development at 818-710-2588 or email@example.com.