Types of Aid
Financial Aid Office
Student Services Building, 2nd fl.
Los Angeles Pierce College
6201 Winnetka Ave.
Woodland Hills, CA 91371
(818) 704-8221 fax
FAQs related to COVID-19:
How do I talk to a Financial Aid Representative/Advisor?
We have transitioned our services online. You can chat with a Financial Aid Advisor by accessing our virtual lobby.
- Virtual Services available during the hours of:
- Monday & Tuesday: 8:00am to 4:00pm
- Wednesday & Thursday: 8:00am to 6:00pm
- Friday: 8:00am to 12:00pm
Will my financial aid change if my enrollment changed to less than 12 units for Spring 2020?
Pell Grant and Cal Grant payments are determined on units enrolled at the time of disbursement. The recalculation is performed to make grant adjustments based on any changes in enrollment status after the initial disbursement and determine if a student owes a repayment. The final amount of financial aid Pell Grant eligibility is based on the number of units a student is enrolled in on the recalculation freeze date.
Students who maintain the same enrollment status as they had at the time of the initial disbursement will not owe a repayment.
What happens if I enroll in less than 6 units for Spring 2020?
If you drop below half-time enrollment (6 units) there are several potential impacts:
- Financial Aid Grant adjustment:
- If you have Spring Pell Grant or Cal Grant and drop to less than 6 units, the grant may be canceled. You will be notified if there is a potential overpayment.
- Student Loan repayment:
- If you have outstanding federal student loans, your loan grace period will begin and first payments would be due 6 months after you drop below 6 units or ceased enrollment. Once the grace period is fully used, you do not get it back.
What if I withdraw from all courses in Spring 2020?
If you fully withdraw (officially or unofficially), Financial Aid & Scholarship Office is required to perform a calculation to determine how much of the financial aid you have already received for the term will need to be returned. President Trump signed the CARES Act into law on March 27th which provided relief to students by not requiring students to repay the overpayment as a result of withdrawal from all courses.
How do I submit my Financial Aid Petition/Appeal because of disqualification?
Financial Aid Petitions/Appeals are submitted online. There are two different types of financial aid disqualifications. Each disqualification will have corresponding instructions outlined as follows:
- Petition for Reinstatement -If you are disqualified due grade point average (GPA) and completion standards, a new task will appear when you login to piercecollege.verifymyfafsa.com.
- Petition for Extension – If you are disqualified due to exceeding the 150% of your program, a checklist item will appear on your TO DO List on your LACCD Student Portal.
Please note that the deadline to submit the Petition for spring 2020 is May 8, 2020.
How do I submit my Loan Documents?
The loan process beginning fall 2020 will be online. Currently the Loan Request is under construction and we anticipate to have this available soon. Please visit the Student Loan webpage for updated information.
I have been awarded Federal Work-Study (FWS) this spring 2020 and was working. Will I lose my FWS?
According to the guidance from the U.S. Department of Education, FWS student workers will receive their regular pay based on the number of hours approved by your site supervisor for the duration of the spring 2020 term until their assignment end date or exhaustion of Federal Work-Study funds, whichever comes first.