Honors Transfer Program
Office: Alder 1000
The Honors Transfer Program (HTP) at Pierce College has been established to meet the needs of students that are highly motivated and want to succeed.
Why should I join?
Participating in the Pierce College Honors Transfer program allows students to take challenging honors coursework that help to build the academic skills necessary for successful transfer to competitive four year universities. Completion of the HTP requirements gives students priority consideration for admission to the UCLA College of Letters and Sciences as part of the Transfer Alliance Program http://www.tap.ucla.edu/default.htmSimilar agreements also exist with Honors Transfer Council of California partner institutions http://htcca.org/transfer-partners/
What are the requirements for joining the HTP?
1) For entering freshmen: have a cumulative high school GPA of 3.00 or better
2) For continuing college students: Completion of a minimum of 9 UC transferable units with a GPA of 3.25 or better in all UC transferable courses.
3) Eligibility for English 101 at Pierce College determined by one of the following:
a. Pierce College Assessment Center results showing placement into Eng 101.
b. Completion of an English 101 equivalent course at another college or university with a passing grade appearing on the transcript
c. Completion of Eng 28 at Pierce with a passing grade
d. AP exam score of 3 or higher on the English Language & Composition or English Literature & Composition exams. (Note: A score of 3 does not allow students to
progress to IGETC Area 1B – see Catalog page 27 for details).
Note: In order to complete certification requirements (see below), students must have at least two full semesters (Fall & Spring) of coursework remaining. Students are encouraged to meet with the Honors Counselor to create or update their student education plan in order to make sure they are able to complete Honors program requirements as well as remaining transfer requirements.
What are the requirements for completing the HTP?
1) Have a GPA of 3.25 or higher in all UC transferable courses by the end of the Fall semester prior to transfer.
2) Complete at least 2 honors courses at Pierce College by the end of the Fall prior to transfer
3) Be enrolled in honors courses for at least one academic year (a Fall and Spring semester).
4) Complete a minimum of 15 formal honors units by the end of Spring prior to transfer.
5) Complete UCLA TAP Certification form in February of the year applying to transfer.
How should I apply?
Fill out the Application (click on Application). PLEASE READ BEFORE APPLYING: Be sure that you are enrolled in Pierce College BEFORE applying for the honors program. Without an accurate Pierce Student ID number, we will not be able to process your application. If you have not taken the English Assessment test, or otherwise qualified for English 101, then you are not eligible to join the program. You ONLY need to apply once. If you are not currently qualified to join the program, send Chris an email once you meet the requirements (firstname.lastname@example.org).
When can I apply?
We will accept applications AT ANY TIME. However, the following due dates are to ensure that your application will be reviewed in time for you to be accepted the corresponding semester. Please keep in mind that once classes start, registration and participation is based on the college’s academic calendar.