Los Angeles Pierce College
Honors Transfer Program
Office: Alder 1000
The Honors Transfer Program (HTP) at Los Angeles Pierce College (LAPC) has been established to meet the needs of students that are highly motivated and want to succeed.
Participating in the LAPC Honors Transfer program allows students to take challenging honors coursework that help to build the academic skills necessary for successful transfer to competitive four year universities. Completion of the HTP requirements gives students priority consideration for admission to the University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) College of Letters and Sciences as part of the UCLA Transfer Alliance Program (TAP). Similar agreements also exist with the Honors Transfer Council of California Partner Institutions (HTCC).
- HTP requirements are similar to those required by the University of California (UC) System
- University transfer agreements
- Alternative Major Selection at UCLA
- UCLA library privileges
- Small class size (25 -30 students)
- Connecting with other students committed to academic achievement
- Access to an Honors counselor and developing a Transfer Plan
- Orientation visits to colleges and universities
- Honors Scholar designation on transcript and diploma
- Recognition at graduation
- Scholarship opportunities
- Honors Students Research Conference–an opportunity to give a presentation at a UC conference and have your abstract printed in a UC publication
- Alpha Gamma Sigma (statewide honors society) affiliation
- Phi Theta Kappa (nationwide honors society) affiliation
Completing the Honors Transfer Program gives you an advantage when applying for admission to UC or to any university that requires a personal statement as part of the application. At present, admission to a California State University (CSU) is based on GPA only. While the CSU System does not currently consider HTP completion when determining admission status, HTP is still a worthwhile endeavor for students who might decide to apply to a UC or private school, or plan someday to attend graduate school.
Alpha Gamma Sigma (AGS) is the statewide honor and scholarship society for community college students. It is separate from the Honors Transfer Program and has its own benefits and requirements. If you are interested in joining, go to the LAPC AGS website.