Office Hours Spring 2018
|Monday||9am - 7pm|
|Tuesday||9am - 6pm|
|Wednesday||9am - 7pm|
|Thursday||9am - 7pm|
|Friday||8am - 4pm|
Los Angeles Pierce College
6201 Winnetka Avenue
Woodland Hills, CA 91371
What is STEM?
STEM is a curriculum based on educating students in four disciplines — science, technology, engineering and mathematics — in an integrative approach, creating a cohesive learning program.
The Career Center has resources available to begin your career exploration relating to a possible STEM major, including research and internship opportunities. Additionally, we have posted web pages with information about academic planning for STEM majors and STEM study skills.
To see a list of possible STEM-related occupations, go to our STEM Occupations web page.
STEM Transfer Checklist
- Choose a STEM major.
- Review required general education and major preparation coursework (varies by institution and major).
- In addition to the minimum admissions requirements, most institutions require a specified subset of base preparation courses be completed as admissions selection criteria.
- Make an appointment with a STEM Counselor to begin assembling a Student Education Plan (SEP) to take charge of your STEM academic and transfer goals.
- Eng Gen 101, 131
- Math 261, 262, 263, 270
- Linear Algebra
- Calculus I, II, III
- Introduction to Science, Technology & Engineering
- General Chemistry I
- Chem 101
- Physics for Engineers and Scientists I, II
- Physics 101, 102
To transfer to a UC campus you must complete at a minimum: 60 UC transferable units, 2.4 GPA, & the seven course breadth pattern of general education:
- 2 transferable college courses in English composition
- 1 transferable college course in mathematical concepts and quantitative reasoning
- 4 transferable college courses chosen from at least two of the following IGETC subject areas:
- arts and humanities
- social and behavioral sciences
- physical and biological sciences
To be a competitive applicant, check out the following links below.
- Major Preparation Requirements for all UC's
- Advanced Placement (AP) credit taken by different UC's: Each UC takes AP credit differently and it is important you are placed in the right Math level depending on your AP score and the UC of your interest.
- Preferred general education for each UC: Keep in mind IGETC is not an admission requirement. Sometimes it is beneficial to complete the IGETC depending on your major and sometimes it will get in the way of the major preparation. Please look at this link when deciding whether to complete the IGETC.
Here are some links that are important when looking into STEM for University of California (UC) schools.
- Six campuses have the TAG program. As a California community college student you are eligible as long as you meet certain criteria. Check out this website for more information.
- Transfer Pathways: Each campus has different requirements for major preparation. Here are 21 majors that they have created common requirements for each major.
- Transfer Admission Planner (TAP): Begin tracking your classes with the planner.
University of California School Transfer LinksUC Berkeley
UC Davis Women in STEM
STEM Transfer Day
UCI Engineering Transfer
STEM Transfer Scholars Program
UC Los Angeles
UCLA Transfer Student Center with STEM Transfer Group
UCLA Center for Community College Partnerships
UCLA Transfer Alliance Program
Pierce College Honors Program
STEM Resource Center
STEM Transfer Resources
BCOE Transfer Students
CNAS STEM Connections Program
UC San Diego
STEM Transfer Major Prep
UC Santa Barbara
STEM Transfer Summer Start Program
Transfer Student Center
UC Santa Cruz
Majors and Courses
- General Education will vary
- Students should contact the Engineering department as they do individual recruitment
- CSUN (PLAN R)
- Comparative Cultural Studies/Gender, Race, Class, & Ethnicity Studies, & Foreign Languages (6 units)
- U.S. History and Local Government (6 units)
- Students from Private and out of state: contact Admissions to make sure meet minimum eligibility
- Cal Poly San Luis Obispo
- CSUChico: Mechatronics Program
- CSULB: Antelope Valley Program for Mechanical and Electrical Engineers
- CSUDH: Clinical Science program
- CSULA: Industrial Technology and NSF research opportunity
- USC STEM
- Calculus II
- Two Semesters of a Lab-Based Science (Cale Based Physics, Chem or Bio)
- USC's Writing Requirement
- International Applicants whose native language is not english must also submit a TOEFL score.
- 30 Transferable Semester Units
- No Foreign Language except Computer Science
- Viterbi Handbook