Pierce College Nursing Dept.
Center for the Sciences, 9000
6201 Winnetka Ave.
Woodland Hills, CA 91371
+1 (818) 719-6477
First Semester Requirements
First Semester Requirements
All of the following requirements must be fulfilled prior to starting the first semester. Important: You will not be permitted to continue in the nursing program unless you have satisfied all entry requirements as described below including all orientation days and procedures. All requirements below must be completed before orientation to the nursing program.
The following information describes the requirements preceding orientation.
- Register for classes before the first day of class.
- Download the LAPC Nursing Student Handbook from the website.
- Please bring the two forms at the end of the handbook signed, to the first day of orientation to acknowledge that you have read and understood the contents of the handbook and the American Disabilities Act (ADA).
- Health and Background Check information
- This must be completed by the first day of orientation. Read the information on the health and background requirements carefully.
- Print the confirmation page with your code and date for the background check*
- BLS/CPR card (must be from American Heart Association)-show original card
- Fire class card - Mandatory Los Angeles Fire Safety Card for the nursing program
- Should be a Pierce-issued card
- You must show original card
- Fees must be paid prior to attending the class
- You must arrive on time-no late arrivals will be admitted
- You must stay for the entire class
- Immunization record with specific quantitative (numeric) titer values for the following (Note: Qualitative notations such as "immune," "positive," or "negative" are not acceptable).
- The titers required are collected by Castle Branch screening solutions, a company that will be utilized throughout your schooling and eventual RN employment. Register at CastleBranch and upload your quantitative titers as instructed on this website. The information you upload will be shared with Pierce College Nursing.
- Varicella (chicken pox)
- Rubeola (measles)
- RPR (syphilis)
- Tdap vaccine (must be administered within the past 10 years)
- Tuberculosis (TB) testing (must be either a 2-step skin test or a QuantiFERON gold blood test) or, if you test positive, a chest x-ray within 3 months showing no TB infection.
- Current flu vaccination-show original documentation
- Drug test results*
- Malpractice insurance-show original documentation
- National Student Nurses' Association (NSNA) membership card
- Physical examination, which must include:
- Recommendation stating "There are no restrictions to class or clinical participation"
- Date of the examination
- Signature of the provider - must be original
- Dental examination with date and signature of provider-must be original
- Complete blood count (CBC), urinalysis, RPR-must be within 3 months of the first day of the semester
The Student Health Center at Pierce College is available to provide many of the services previously listed.
*The drug test and background check are required of all students upon acceptance to the Los Angeles Pierce College Nursing Program. Payment of a fee to the provider is required for these services. Students may be denied participation in the program for certain convictions and/or violations. Specific information regarding disqualification may be obtained from the Department of Nursing.
Please keep copies of all documents for your own files as you may need to show proof at a later date.